FSE Scholarship 2020
Subject: Florida Supervisors of Elections to Offer Scholarship Opportunities
The Florida Supervisors of Elections is proud to once again offer scholarship opportunities to students from around the state. Three scholarships in the amount of $1,200 each will be awarded in 2020 with the winning students to be announced and recognized at the FSE Summer Conference to be held next May.
Applicants must be registered voters in Florida who have lived in the state for at least the preceding two years and have maintained at least a “C” average. Applicants must have been accepted or enrolled as a full-time student in a senior college or university in Florida and completed two years of junior college or undergraduate work. Students who apply must be either a Political Science, Public/Business Administration, or Journalism/Mass Communication major.
“It has been a wonderful and longstanding tradition for the Florida Supervisors of Elections to award scholarships to worthy students from around the state” said current FSE President Tammy Jones of Levy County. “We are again excited to provide these opportunities that could lead to productive careers in the public service arena.”
The three scholarships are presented in memory of former Supervisors of Elections Dorothy Ruggles of Pinellas County, Joe Oldmixon of Escambia County and Jimmy Whitehouse of Highlands County.
To be eligible for the FSE Scholarship the student applicant shall:
- Be either a Political Science/Public or Business administration or Journalism/Mass Communication major.
- Have been a bona fide resident of Florida for two years preceding the academic year for which an application is made.
- Be enrolled or accepted as a full-time student in a senior college or university in Florida. No postgraduate or second-degree students.
- Have finished two years of junior college or undergraduate work (enough credits for enrollment as a junior).
- Submit two current letters of recommendation: one from the college or university last attended or gradated from; and one from a citizen of good standing in the community.
- Submit a resume of your high school and/or college activities as well as what you have done for your community.
- Demonstrate a financial need and furnish a financial statement, which shows what your own contribution is to your educational expenses. (Student does not have to submit an official form, can just send a statement of their financial need.)
- Have maintained a "C" average or above for the previous year.
- Be available for personal interview by the Supervisor of Elections in the county where you are registered to vote.
- Be registered to vote. (Written verification required by Supervisor submitting application where you are registered to vote.)
Scholarship must be given to student attending a Florida university or college which is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
The scholarship check will be made payable to the winning application AND to the school which they will be attending.
Must apply in accordance with all eligibility requirements. (Failure to do so could result in non-consideration.)
Must continue to meet all initial eligibility requirements.
Must maintain a "C" average or above.